Principles of Alignment & the importance of a good posture
Have you ever notice how we naturally change the position of our bodies according to how we feel? When we feel well we naturally lengthen the spine and open our chest, but when we feel bad our gaze goes down same as our shoulders, rounding them and compromising the natural curves of the spine. Poor posture restrains the flow of energy inside our bodies, it creates a negative impact not only physically but mentally and spiritually as well.
In general we tend to stretch from our most flexible areas and rely on our stronger muscles when strength is involved. In this two and a half yoga workshop, through attention to proper alignment we will learn how to encourage weak parts of our body to strengthen, and stiff areas to release, realigning and creating balance inside us.
The following topics will be covered during the workshop:
- Redefining the meaning of “perfection” in a posture.
- Optimizing the use of the joints to protect them against injuries.
- 3 different theories (bandhas, lines of energy and anatomy) that lead to the same result, correct alignment.
- Understanding connections between different parts of our bodies and between alignment and energy.
- Personalizing yoga postures with and without props.
- General tips to protect our joints.
- Building postures using bandhas and lines of energy.
This workshop is designed with the idea of awakening awareness not only in our yoga practice but in the way we stand, sit and walk. By transforming bad postures patterns into a good posture habits we will set a good space for energy to flow inside our bodies, which will turn into a better lifestyle.
Date & Time Saturday, April 25th from 9:00am to 11:30am.
Location Ashtanga Yoga Long Island.
Cost $30 / $25 if booked in advance by April 22nd.